AIS Update on COVID-19: To all auto insurance customers, insurance companies may be issuing premium reductions and relief. We've provided a list of insurance companies and additional information. Learn more.
The Empire State
Compare New York Auto Insurance Quotes From Multiple Companies
New York Auto Insurance
New York has some of the most well-known locations, buildings and symbols in the country. This makes the state incredibly attractive to tourists from all over the world. But native New Yorkers get to enjoy these places every day. As great as New York is, residents face tough winters, possible hurricanes and other conditions that make Auto Insurance important, especially if you live in New York City. Wherever you live in the state of New York, all drivers are legally required to have Auto Insurance.
Auto Insurance rates in New York can vary more than you might think from one insurance company to another. That’s where Auto Insurance Specialists can help!
Try our simple form for an AIS Instant Quote®. This quote will be a range of our Auto Insurance partners' rates for the coverage you select, and you can even pick the price you like.
Required Auto Insurance in New York
Nearly all states require a certain amount of Car Insurance, and New York is no exception. All registered New York drivers must carry Liability Insurance. Liability Insurance will only cover the other people and cars involved in an accident that you were at fault for, up to your policy limit. Liability Insurance will not cover your own damages or injuries. You may consider adding optional coverages that will help you with your own costs incurred in an accident.
New York is also one of the states that requires its drivers to have Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage. This insurance would pay for bodily injury to you and your passengers should the at-fault driver not have enough insurance or any insurance at all.
State Minimum Liability Coverage in New York
- BI or Bodily Injury: $25,000 per person/$50,000 per death, $50,000 per accident/$100,000 for multiple deaths
- PD or Property Damage: $10,000 per accident
State Minimum Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage in New York
- BI or Bodily Injury: $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident
State Minimum Personal Injury Protection (PIP) in New York
- BI or Bodily Injury: $50,000 total per accident
To learn more about specific Auto Insurance coverage, visit our Car Insurance Coverage page.
Optional Coverage in New York
Most states have laws in place that require drivers to have Car Insurance, but the minimum requirements may not be enough. You should seriously consider additional coverage options, as driving with insufficient insurance could cost you greatly.
Below are some examples you may want to consider:
- Collision Coverage*: If you are involved in an accident with another vehicle, Collision coverage helps pay for the damages to your own car, minus your deductible. Following a collision, the national average repair costs are $3,000! Without Collision coverage, you may have to pay that bill yourself.
- Comprehensive Coverage*: Car damage can come in many forms, many of which are not from other vehicles. While New York tends to be somewhat safer than other states when it comes to natural disasters, there are still elements like fire, snow, hail and more to worry about damaging your car. Don’t forget about theft and vandalism, too. With Comprehensive coverage, most non-collision damage to your vehicle is covered.
- Higher Bodily Injury Limits: For an accident that resulted in injuries, the costs can add up fast. That minimum BI Insurance may not be enough to cover the medical bills, especially from a serious accident. If you consider a higher BI limit, you might not have to worry about those bills suddenly piling up on you.
- Higher Property Damage Limits: The Property Damage minimum in New York is $10,000, but that figure may not be enough. After car repairs, you may be responsible to pay for other property damage such as light poles, buildings, fences or other property. Depending on the severity of the accident, that minimum amount could be quickly exhausted, and the remainder would be your responsibility to pay for out of pocket.
*Although Collision coverage and Comprehensive coverage are not required by law, they may be required in your car loan or lease contract with the lender.
These levels and types of coverage aren’t required by the state of New York, but it may be wise for you to consider them for your policy. And because Auto Insurance needs vary from person to person, consulting a licensed Insurance Specialist at AIS can help you determine the right coverage for you.
New York is a No-Fault State
Determining who is at fault for an accident can involve long and costly court battles. To minimize the need for litigation, some states have adopted a “no-fault” system. This means that regardless of who was at fault, your insurance company will pay for your damages in a timely fashion after an accident. New York is one of the few states that have adopted this policy.
We understand the law is complicated, and that’s why we highly recommend that you call us. Our experienced Insurance Specialists will help you better understand your options as a New York driver and help you evaluate your personal Car Insurance needs.
Most Stolen Car Models in New York
If you own a car that is highly targeted for theft, you may find that your Car Insurance rate is increased. According to www.nicb.org, these are the top 10 cars that were stolen in New York in 2017:
- Honda Accord
- Honda Civic
- Toyota Camry
- Nissan Altima
- Honda CR-V
- Ford Econoline E350
- Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
- Ford Econoline E250
- Hyundai Sonata
- Dodge Caravan
New York Auto Insurance Discounts
Taking advantage of Auto Insurance discounts could make a significant difference in your insurance premium, but only if you’re aware of which discounts you qualify for. At AIS, we can walk you through the many discounts available to New Yorkers, and let you know which ones you qualify for.
Examples of these New York Car Insurance discounts may include:
- Safe Driver
- Good Student
- Accident Free
To learn more about specific discounts, visit our Discounts page.
Who can resist a state whose namesake city has crazy-good hot dogs and tasty pizza on every corner? Still, residents must be prepared for the unexpected, and protect themselves from potential risk and damages that could be very costly. Getting a great Auto Insurance rate on your own could take a long time. AIS can be your source for reliable information and provide comparison rate quotes all in one call! Give us a call to answer your questions, provide comparison rate quotes or help you choose your best Auto Insurance policy.